Christina O'Connor- 6291; Chloe Mo-6273; Jack Pierce-1068;
Centre Number-14109

Monday 15 October 2012

Lighting (Night Vision)

After thinking of the different types of lighting that we could use in the Factory, I researched into night vision.
After analysing Grave encounters, I noticed many scenes within that film was filmed with night vision. Night vision aids the audience to see in the dark and shows that the room being filmed is in complete darkness. It also shows that it is a hand held camera which is perfect for Grave Encounters as it is a 'TV series'. Most films, to show that it is dark would film in a dark room but not completely dark. The characters would usually act as if they were in darkness, but some light would be needed to allow the audience to see on screen. Night vision would suit our trailer as the 'explorers' looking the factory would most likely have one.

After researching into Night Vision cameras and lenses, I found that these would be far too expensive and rarely film in High Definition. Lenses were around £600-2000, way out of our budget. 









After looking at screenshots again from Grave encounters, It appears that they used editing to create a night vision effect, without using a night vision camera. I could use a torch and edit the footage afterwards to make it appear I had been using a nihght vision camera.





I recreated a similar night effect by taping a torch to the camera and editing the footage and images. I started by simply taping a torch the camera so it moved with camera. This gave the effect the lens was amplifying dim visible light already present or gathering electromagnetic radiation such as infrared that humans cant see to make the image clear:






I then took a photo of the stairs in my house in darkness but with the torch taped to the camera on.


I then edited the image to make it appear as if it was taken on a night vision camera:
- I altered the colour and added more tones of green to it
- I decreased the contrast to show more darker areas of the image
- I increased the sharpness the give the image and more 'grainy' but crisper definition



Un edited
Edited
I then went on and filmed some short footage of me walking around my house in the dark with torch on. This would represent how the factory would look if we were to film in the darker parts of it, such as the basement.
I again edited to footage in the same way as the image. I decreased the contrast and added some green to it:

Unedited:


Edited:















No comments:

Post a Comment